[Grad2021] [Turnbull Zemi] Agenda for the next week or so

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Jul 3 13:34:39 JST 2020

Hi all!

Here is the proposed schedule for individual consultation next week:

Monday,   July 6, 11:00: Ms. Riku
Monday,   July 6, 11:30: Ms. Jin
Monday,   July 6, 13:30: Ms. Tao
Monday,   July 6, 14:00: Ms. Huang
Monday,   July 6, 15:00: Mr. Yan
Monday,   July 6, 15:30: Mr. Ye
Monday,   July 6, 16:00: Ms. Abdulrasool
Tuesday,  July 7, 11:00: Ms. Hu
Tuesday,  July 7, 13:30: Mr. Murasawa
Tuesday,  July 7, 14:30: Mr. Zhang
Thursday, July 9, 13:30: Mr. Itoh

If these times are inconvenient for you for any reason, first, try to
trade with somebody else.  If not, contact me and we'll reschedule.  I
really do want to start early in the week, and Wednesday is difficult
because of faculty meetings.

The information below is mostly available on my website at
https://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Teach/Zemi/Workflow.  The links are
definitely clickable there. :-)

I would like to hold individual consultation using Microsoft Teams
scheduled meeting feature (the calendar).  I know several of you
either only use a handheld terminal, or prefer your handheld, so
here's how to access the calendar for iPhone.  Please let me know if
it also works for Android phones and for tablets of both varieties.

- `Tips for Microsoft Teams users`_

The main thing I want to talk about in the individual meeting is your
topic.  See Task 1, and strictly observe the deadline.

- Task 1: `Topic checklist`_

  **Due: 2020-07-05 (Monday) 17:00.** Check your topic according to the
  `Topic checklist`_, add any missing information, and send a report
  to me by email.  Word files are OK.

  If you have multiple topics you are considering, you *should*
  perform the check on all "serious" topics *soon* -- if you can't do
  most of the checklist, it may not be a good topic for you.

- Resource 1: `Research question checklist`_

  This is for future reference.

Next week I want to talk about bibliographies in zemi.  It's important
I have examples.  Please strictly observe the deadline.

- Task 2: `Bibliography entry checklist`_

  **Due: 2020-07-08 (Wednesday) 23:59.** If you have not started a
  bibliography database yet, collect at least 5 references (just the
  bibliographical information now), and create a provisional
  bibliography from those items.  If you have a bibliography already,
  check that each item is complete.  Send a copy to me by email.  Word
  files are OK.

  I recommend using a template, such as Resource 2 or Resource 3
  below, to remind you of the necessary and useful data items for each
  reference when collecting references.  Do it as soon as you identify
  them; it's tedious, but it's even more annoying when I tell you you
  aren't allowed to submit your thesis to the university because your
  bibliography's formatting or content is unacceptable.

  As you discover more references, add them to the database.  Don't
  delete any, you may regret it!  But update your provisional
  bibliography to only those you use.  I'll say more about that later.

- Resource 2: `Bibliography template 1`_

- Resource 3: `Bibliography template 2`_

- Resource 4: `Source references`_ (in preparation)

  *Citation* (引用), *quotation* (引用文), *reference*
  (言及), *plagiarism* (剽窃, 登用), *copyright infringement*
  (著作権侵害)

- Resource 5: `Citation and bibliography styles`_

  This links to an older document.  I have not reviewed it recently,
  and may need to update it.

- Resource 6: `Citation checklist`_ (in preparation)

- Resource 7: `Academic misconduct`_

  This links to an older document.  I have not reviewed it recently,
  and may need to update it.

Outline of workflow in the Turnbull Zemi

- `Introduction to research in the Turnbull Zemi`_

  What it says.

- `Just Don't`_

  Some information about academic fraud.

- `Degree programs in PPS`_

  Outlines requirements for the graduate degrees (MS and PhD)
  awarded in the PPS programs.

- `Presentation schedule`_

  Gives the schedule of major presentations and document submissions
  in the Master's program.  (Undergraduate and doctoral processes
  are similar but the formal requirements are not so strict.)

- `Retrospective on presentations`_

  What is a Response to Comments?  You will get comments on each
  presentation and submission.  You are required to to submit a
  formal document called "Response to Comments" in advance of the
  next submission.

- `Gathering references`_

  Presents the more or less standard format for bibliographies.
  Academic papers must cite all sources of data and ideas.  The
  bibliography provides readers the necessary information to find
  and confirm your sources.

- `How to cite`_

  In academic writing, you must cite each idea, data, image, <em>etc.</em>
  that you copy or use from another source so that readers know
  which statements or displays in your paper were taken from which
  sources.

- `Effective presentation`_

  Some best current practices for presentation.

.. TODO

   * `The New Workflow`__

   * `Using Git`__

   * `Programming in Python`__

   * `Programming in R`__

   __ workflow.html
   __ using-git.html
   __ ProgrammingInPython.html
   __ ProgrammingInR.html

.. _`Introduction to research in the Turnbull Zemi`: zemi-intro.html
.. _`Just Don't`: academic-fraud.html
.. _`Degree programs in PPS`: degree-programs.html
.. _`Presentation schedule`: master-presentations.html
.. _`Retrospective on presentations`: QandA.html
.. _`Gathering references`: gathering-references.html
.. _`How to cite`: styles-citation.html
.. _`Effective presentation`: effective.html
.. _`Topic checklist`: topic-checklist.html
.. _`Research question checklist`: rq-checklist.html
.. _`Bibliography entry checklist`: bibitem-checklist.html
.. _`Bibliography template 1`: bibliography-1.xlsx
.. _`Bibliography template 2`: source-db.xlsx
.. _`Source references`: in-preparation.html
.. _`Citation and bibliography styles`: styles-citation.html
.. _`Citation checklist`: in-preparation.html
.. _`Academic misconduct`: academic-fraud.html
.. _`Tips for Microsoft Teams users`: teams_tips.html