[UG2019] [Turnbull Zemi] REMINDER: 発表会、明日のゼミ / Midterm presentations, tomorrow's Zemi

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Sep 3 15:59:45 JST 2018

して6〜7は1枚におさえらると考えるべきです。それ以上があれば、おおざっ
ぱに重要な点だけに絞ればよいです。専門用語をそのままでよい、説明不要。
全ての点をリストアップして、順番でトップスリーを選択することも不要。
PPTを用意するかどうかは自分で決めてもよいです。PPTの枚数はあくまで「量」
を推測する例と思ってもよいです。(注意:私はぎっしりした密度の高いスラ
イドは好きじゃないことを覚えているよね?)

以上

Everyone,

In the table in the Japanese part is the proposed schedule for the midterm
presentation on October 16.  If you are scheduled to present but it is
very inconvenient for you, contact me immediately.  Adjustments can be
made but the sooner the better.

I require all my advisees to attend all sessions, and will be taking
attendance.  If you have a conflict with a class or something, contact
me soon, and let me when it is difficult to attend, and why (the name
of the class, where your part-time job is, etc).  Note: It is
considered VERY RUDE to enter and leave the seminar room in the middle
of the session.  Show up by the scheduled time, and stay in your seat
until the students are asked to leave.

For the content of tomorrow's presentation, from the (NEW) items pick
three that seem most worthy of deeper study, and explain the following
points.

1.  Title
2.  All authors (including affiliations)  Note: if the institutions
    are Chinese, please mention their reputation: "internationally
    competitive", domestically considered "excellent", and "other".
3.  Goals of the research
    a.  What is the audience that would benefit from reading this
        paper?  (Pick one from other researchers, government policy
        makers, managers, students, general citizens, and so on.)
    b.  What research results are expected?
4.  Research methodology
    a.  Theory (explain concretely what cause-effect relations are
        included)
    b.  Data (collection method, sample size, important variables and
        their relation to the model in a.)
    c.  Data analysis method (SEM, multiple regression analysis, SVM,
        etc.)
    d.  In the case of theoretical research, explain the method.
5.  The main research results obtained
d6.  The implications and importance of the results for the research
    field and/or society
7.  The most important relation of this research to your own (data,
    research methodology, etc.)

Quantitatively, if you were to format a PPT presentation, points 1--3
should fill about 1 page, 4 and 5 get about 1 page each, and 6--7
should fit on one page.  If there's more than that that you could say,
pick important points, and state them briefly.  You don't need to
explain technical terms, and you don't need to list all the possible
upoints in rank order and pick the top three.  Whether to create a PPT
is up to you.  I mention it here to give an idea of quantity.
(Remember that I don't like dense slides!)

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information