[Grad2022] [Turnbull Zemi] Zemi notes 01/05

Stephen J. Turnbull stephenjturnbull at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 02:07:49 JST 2022

Hi

Here are the notes I used in my talk today.

Zemi notes 2022/01/05

M2
- Forms for confirmation from Shako jimu (left on desk in 3F1223).
- Submit current draft to me by 5pm for iThenticate processing.
- Available tomorrow (hanko/signature needed?)
- Take the weekend + Monday off, presentation prep not in a hurry.
- Tuesday prep presentation practice, revise midterm presentation
  (update tables, references, etc; improve conclusions)
- 2022/01/12 Wednesday Zemi: 1st presentation practice
  (note: faculty meeting @ 15:15; 2022/01/19 Zemi will reschedule due
  to faculty meeting)

M1 and kenkyusei
- Homework
  1.  check faculty
      https://www.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/PPS/en/fac/ (English)
      https://www.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/PPS/fac/ (Japanese)
  2.  Find 1 faculty member each (may be different or the same)
      - most likely to enjoy reading your thesis
      - most likely to give helpful advice on the *subject* of your
        thesis
  3.  Support your choice by citing one paper each (must be two papers
      even if the professor is the same).
      - very recent work from Annual reports
        https://www.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/DPPS/annual.html
      - full list of publications from TRIOS
        https://trios.tsukuba.ac.jp/researcher/search/advanced
  4.  Support your choices by quoting from the abstract of the paper
      cited in 3.
  5.  Report:
      a.  Identify yourself.
      b.  State your research theme.
      c.  Identify the "interested" professor.  Give a full citation
          for the publication supporting your choice, and provide the
          quote that supports this choice.
      d.  Identify the "helpful" professor.  Give a full citation
          for the publication supporting your choice, and provide the
          quote that supports this choice.
- Uncertain about thesis?
  Alternative strategies
  - You submitted a research plan for entrance exam (kenkyusei
    application): use that.
  - If you have a general research area but are uncertain about the
    specific thesis (research topic) for your graduation paper, that
    should be specific enough.
  - Pick something you know enough about to do the homework.

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information