[Grad2021] [Turnbull Zemi] Zemi schedule and Python part-time work

Stephen J. Turnbull stephenjturnbull at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:10:26 JST 2022

Hi, everybody,

Zemi is on Wednesday, July 13, from 13:30 to 16:00.  This is a
presentation zemi.  5 students:  Ms. Jin, Ms. Xu, Ms. Li, Mr. Ma, and
Mr. Nishi should prepare 1 paper that you have not presented before,
with slides.  You may prepare more if you can, but at minimum you
should have one slide each for

1.  Title: author(s), title, publication data (journal etc), and
    "presented by $YOUR_NAME on July 13, 2022".
2.  Background: why did they write this paper, how is it related to
    your research theme.
3.  Previous research (1 (or 2) paper(s), main result, how does the
    paper you present improve on this (these) paper(s))
4.  Methodology of the paper: main dependent variable(s), main
    explanatory variable(s), data source, main model relationship(s)
5.  Results.

The other students should practice self-introduction (name, student
ID, department, principal advisor).  AG are not part of your
identification.  It's good to thank them in the introduction of a
full presentation, but we'll talk about how to express that later.

Because my Tuesday research meeting has been moved to Friday to
accomodate this week's presenter in that meeting, the schedule is
different from usual.  I will update Teams later today.

日付(曜日)時間           時間    学生

07/13 (W) 13:30-16:00  150分    ゼミ

07/14 (R) 10:30-10:50   20分    周 雅佩
07/14 (R) 11:00-11:20   20分    王 天舒

07/14 (R) 13:30-13:50   20分    花 季
07/14 (R) 14:00-14:20   20分    王 巧
07/14 (R) 15:00-15:20   20分    西 康成
07/14 (R) 15:30-15:50   20分    金 明旸

07/15 (F) 10:00-10:20   20分    马 弢
07/15 (F) 10:30-10:50   20分    李 悦祺
07/15 (F) 11:00-11:20   20分    徐 慧

07/15 (F) 16:30-16:50   20分    刘 梁

I mentioned that I have some Python projects I will be working on
later in the summer in Zemi a while ago, early June, but apparently I
never made the document available.  Here it is:

Python projects
---------------

I'm planning to do some programming in the summer, and if anyone is
interested, I can pay for some "arbaito".  If you're interested please
let me know how much you want to work and what projects you're
interested in.

Several of the projects use PyScript.  This is a new feature of
CPython which is based on compiling CPython to WebAsm, which is a
virtual machine that most modern browsers implement.  PyScript
combines Python for "business logic" with HTML and CSS for
presentation in any browser.  The HTML/CSS provide a document in a
nice style, and PyScript makes it dynamic by accessing the documents
DOM (document object model) which defines what appears in the browser
and where.

1.  Mind mapper using PyScript.  I think this project can probably
    done with some existing Python modules like networkx to produce a
    graph.  I think a dot-like syntax for defining links is best.  The
    "difficult" part of the project is going to be either finding an
    algorithm that generates nice compact graphs (networkx may have
    one), or a convenient set of user tools (such as reordering the
    links) to allow the user to do the same by hand.  This doesn't
    need to be small enough to be convenient in a hand-held device.

2.  Time planner using PyScript.  All of the scheduling tools I am
    familier with are basically just calendars, or even "whiteboards
    with dates".  I want something with task prioritization (and
    suppression of display of low-priority tasks), dependency tracking
    via "milestones" (events that define completion of a task), and
    analytics (for example, distributions of time required vs. "size"
    of task).  This absolutely must run in a hand-held, and should be
    able to communicate (synchronize) among several devices.

3.  Twitter "neighborhood explorer".  Social media such as Twitter
    provide many kinds of links: friends, followings, and followers
    among users, replies, retweets, and quote tweets among tweets, the
    implied relationships among users defined by tweet relations,
    hash- and at-tagging, references to external resources, and even
    more.  Examination of these relationships are useful for various
    analyses, from identifying networks of "bots" and "trolls" to
    understanding influencers.  For business analysis, this can be a
    desktop application, but it would be interesting to add a Twitter
    client layer by adding a PyScript UI.