[Grad2021] [Turnbull Zemi] About borrowing books in the lab

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Apr 15 12:45:52 JST 2021

Hi,

A student asked

 > I noticed there are some books in the lab regarding to
 > microeconomics and mathematics. I chose many classes that are
 > related to these two subjects. Can I borrow several books in order
 > to prepare for the curriculum and paper?

and I think that's relevant to everyone, so I'll answer here.

Book Borrowing Policy

It depends on the book.  You have to ask permission for *each* book
you would like to borrow.  Some books (both textbooks by Varian on
Microeconomics, for example) are useful to all students, so I
generally refuse permission and ask you to read them in the lab.  It's
possible to get 7 people in the lab with 2 meter "social distancing",
and most days from now on you can open the window and door to get good
ventilation.  So I don't think that's a huge burden to ensure access
for everyone.

Also, if you pick a particular desk, you can leave books on the desk
and "reserve" them for yourself.  If that person isn't using them, you
can borrow my books as long as you return it to the same place you
found it.  But you should ask the other student about those books,
because some books (including books in Japanese or Chinese!) are mine,
but others are personal copies of the students.

More specialized books I usually give permission to take home, but if
I call for them (this rarely happens) I expect return in 24 hours.

Equipment Borrowing Policy

There is some equipment (especially the projector) that you might want
to take out of the room and use elsewhere.  I will permit this
sometimes but you need to get permission and return it immediately
after finishing use.

Use of 3E401

You are welcome to invite students who are not members of my Zemi to
study with you in the room, but do not teach them the combination of
the lock.  In general they are allowed only if you are with them.
Also, if it turns out that many students of the Zemi are frequently
studying at the same time in the room, I may restrict this use to Zemi
students.

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information