[Grad2020] About the presentation.

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Aug 7 12:01:25 JST 2017

baokehan19920912 at yahoo.co.jp writes:

 > I am sorry to bother you, and the purpose of emailing is asking the
 > presentation of the research plan.
 >
 > The question is whether we need to make powerpoint during presentation?

This presentation will be in "interview" (graduate entrance
examination) format.  In the interview, you may bring a handout, but
you will not have access to a projector.  The interview does not
require handouts, and few students bring them.  You will have 5
minutes (don't worry too much about going over at this point, up to 10
minutes).  You will be asked to make a presentation on the following
points:

1.  Why did you choose the University of Tsukuba, and Shako?
2.  What is your research theme, and why is it interesting?
3.  What is your research plan to learn about your theme?
4.  What is your career plan?  That is, how do you plan to use your
    degree in your career?  Also, do you plan to continue for the
    doctorate or stop with a master's degree?

You should spend about 20% of the time on #1, 60% on #2 and #3, and
20% on #4.

I think there is something else in the "standard question" now.  Check
the "information for applicants" document, and pay careful attention
when the interviewer asks.

If you do not present in English, you will be asked a simple question
in English and required to answer it in English.  If you do present in
English, you will be asked about your Japanese skills.  However,
tomorrow's presentation does not include this language skill question.

Everyone: I'm sorry for not providing a Japanese translation.  Perhaps
if you don't understand the above well you can get a translation in
Chinese from one of the English speakers.

Steve

P.S.  Ms. Fong, I forgot to mention this before, but you should
prepare something for tomorrow.