[Turnbull Zemi] Schedule for Zemi

Stephen J. Turnbull stephenjturnbull at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:49:26 JST 2023

Hi all,

I'm not going to schedule meetings for Mr. Nishi and Mr. Sakurai, as
your work is mostly over now.  We can talk next week if you like.  For
Mr. Hua, I have some things to talk about briefly, 5-10 minutes.
Ms. Wang is optional.

My time is very tightly scheduled this week.  Besides our six Zemi
student presentations, I have 3 students from other zemis and because
we have a grade discussion at the end of the session, I have to be in
all sessions until the end.  I have meetings all afternoon on Tuesday,
and the MSE presentations on Thursday make that day impossible for
Zemi, so I am scheduling Zemi on Monday and Wednesday, 14:00--16:30.

If you need to change times, I would as usual prefer that you exchange
with another student.  I also have time for one meeting after the
Zemis, and two slots on Thursday at 13:00 and 13:30, if absolutely
necessary.  For presentations, if you would prefer a different time or
the other day, please find someone to exchange with.  One person could
move from Wednesday to Monday without exchange, but not from Monday to
Wednesday, 2 on Monday and 5 on Wednesday would be too unbalanced.

Schedule:

Monday        11:30 Ms. Zhou
              12:45 Ms. Xu    (Note time!)
              13:15 Ms. Li    (Note time!)
              14:00 Zemi      Ms. Zhou, Ms. Xu, Ms. Li presenting
Tuesday       10:30 Mr. Liu
              11:00 Ms. Jin
              11:30 Mr. Ma
Wednesday     10:30 Mr. Wang
              14:00 Zemi      Mr. Liu, Ms. Jin, Mr. Ma, Mr. Wang
                              presenting
Thursday      11:00 Mr. Hua
              11:30 Ms. Wang

As I wrote last week:

Based on today's presentation, M2s generally have accurate timing for
12 minute presentations.  Unless you were off by more than 30s, don't
spend much effort on improving timing.  Although I mentioned it
specifically for a couple of individuals, everyone needs to work on
"selling" their research.  Unless we have discussed specific
priorities for improvement, this should be #1.
- What scientific assets (new models, new methodology, new datasets)
  have you contributed?
- What new results (theorems, regressions, hypothesis tests) have you
  found?
- How can individuals, groups, and governments use your contributions
  to improve their choices and policies?

Second priority: audience focus.  Remember that althouh a scientific
presentation can have style and be fun, it is not performance art
where you do what you want and the audience has to figure out what
you're trying to say.  Instead, you want to help your audience
understand with the minimal amount of effort, and convince them your
work is important.

12 minutes is very short.  It's longer than an "elevator pitch", but
it's really tight.  Your goal cannot be to present everything, or even
all the important results in your paper.  You don't have time.  It has
to be to convince the audience they want to read your paper, and that
it's important to them.

I see no reason change that advice in general.

Final presentation schedule, again:
For final presentations, to avoid interrupting the presenters, please
enter the room before the session opens, and leave promptly when asked
at the end of the session.

3E404    Feb.  3 (F)  9:16   Ms. Xu      (session opens  8:40)
                      9:34   Ms. Li
                     10:10   Ms. Jin     (session opens 10:10)
                     10:28   Ms. Zhou
                     10:46   Mr. Ma
                     11:04   Mr. Liu
3E404    Feb.  6 (M) 16:09   Mr. Wang    (session opens 15:15)
3E404    Feb. 14 (T) 12:15   Ms. Wang    (session opens 12:15)

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information